The Med’innovant Africa prize aims at rewarding startups and small businesses that are developing innovative solutions for African and Mediterranean cities. It is organized by Euroméditerranée, a French urban development agency, with the support of Emerging Valley 2020. Several corporate mentors driven by an open innovation mindset and eager to find the next groundbreaking entrepreneurs will be teaming up with the institution.
Euroméditerranée is continuing its policy of openness towards Africa with the second edition of the Med’innovant Africa prize. Within the framework of Emerging Valley, its goal is to accelerate eco-innovative startups that intend to build long-term solutions to economic and environmental challenges faced by European and African territories.
Each candidate is invited to submit its application between July 1st and August 31st. After being reviewed by a jury of experts, five entrepreneurs will be pre-selected and two of them will be invited to pitch their project on the Emerging Valley summit stage which is focusing its 4th edition on resilient territories. The jury will then reward two winners with the chance to implement a pilot project on the field in the second largest French metropolis, Marseille. They will be mentored and offered up to €7000 grant.
- Application process July 1st, 8:00 am to August 31st, 11:59pm. (GMT+1)
- September 1st, September 18th, 2020: pre-selection of up to twenty candidates
- September 22nd, September 24th, 2020: Selection of our four or five finalists
- December 7th and 8th 2020: Pitch of the laureates during Emerging Valley 2020 and award ceremony to celebrate the two winners.
Euroméditerranée, an experimenting field for young African startupers developing innovative solutions for smart cities.
Whether it has been through the development of a platform for processing and recycling polluted soils, the invention of thalasso-thermal loops, or its mission to invent the city of tomorrow, the Public Urban Development Agency Euroméditerranée has always had innovation close to its heart.
Africa is now a major emergent market where Tech innovation and creative start-ups simulate each other constantly.
This is why EPAEM created in 2018 a prize rewarding international entrepreneurs. In 2019 Euroméditerranée decided to develop an African edition because of the very special historical ties between Africa and Aix-Marseille Provence Metropolis. The success and quality of the competition has not dried up over the course of the years as Med’Innovant has been pleased to receive more than 180 applications coming from all across Africa. Since then, three talented and inspiring start-ups based in Chad, Cameroon and Senegal have been rewarded.
- Application: The application must be comprehensive, coherent, and easy to understand by a person external to the project.
- Development status of solution: The solution (product, service) has evolved from the simple idea, and has been developed in a significant way or has been prototyped.
- Business model: There is an existing and realistic business model that has generated revenues or presented initial signs of results.
- Team: Relevant talents have been associated and have presented the ability to develop a project.
- Territory-wise: the solution must have genuine deployment potential in the Euroméditerranée EcoCité area and more widely within Aix-Marseille Provence Metropolis*.
- Resilient and social innovation: The solution must be innovative, have a social and/or environmental impact, and contribute to regional resilience.
(*) Projects with high potential may also receive support outside the scope of intervention stated by the partners associated with the competition (France, African continent, etc).